Bone Marrow Aspiration
The regenerative qualities of bone marrow have been used for decades and are considered the gold standard for stem cell harvesting. However, after the first 1-2 mL of bone marrow aspirate from a traditional needle, the number of total nucleated cells (TNC) in the aspirate drops dramatically due to the lower viscosity of blood and the design of the needle, which operates most optimally for small biopsy volume. After aspirating the first 1-2 mL of bone marrow, peripheral blood will preferentially fill the vacated space, limiting the additional harvest of key stem and progenitor cells.
The Marrow Cellution™ Bone Marrow Aspiration System overcomes this issue. It allows the user to aspirate in a measured and controlled manner over a large geography inside the marrow space, while restricting peripheral blood infiltration.
Bone Marrow Aspiration with Marrow Cellution™
Animation: Bone Marrow Aspiration with the Marrow Cellution™ System
Scientific data: CFU-f counts
(1) n=5; Scarpone MA, et al. Marrow Cellution Bone Marrow Aspiration System and Related Concentrations of Stem and Progenitor Cells. White Paper 2015.
(2) n=30; Scarpone MA, et al. Isolation of clinically relevant concentrations of bone marrow mesenchymal stem cells without centrifugation. J Transl Med (2019) 17:10.
(3) n=27; Harrell DB, Purita JR. Novel Technology to Increase Concentrations of Stem and Progenitor Cells from Marrow Aspiration. White Paper 2016.
(4) Hegde V, et al. A prospective comparison of three approved systems for autologous bone marrow concentration demonstrated non-equivalency in progenitor cell number and concentration. J Orthop Trauma. 2014 Oct;28(10):591-8.
(5) McLain R, et al. Aspiration of Osteoprogenitor Cells for Augmenting Spinal Fusion: Comparison of Progenitor Cell Concentrations From the Vertebral Body and Iliac Crest. J Bone Joint Surg Am. 2005 Dec; 87(12): 2655–2661.
Bone marrow aspiration & percutaneous cancellous bone harvesting
Bone Dowel Harvesting with Marrow Cellution™ 8C
Animation: Marrow Cellution™ – Percutaneous Autograft Collection